1) Found an amazing ice cream parlor that has flavors like “Dried Fruit” and “Sweet Pan” (an Indian flavor). I am very concerned about my waistline.
2) A teenage girl showed up at the office. She had been brought to India from another country under the pretense that she would be given a job, but instead was forced into sex work. She was sold (yes, sold) from one gang to another, and eventually moved down to Madurai. She managed to escape, and showed up at People’s Watch seeking help.
3) Cooked dahl that I was not ashamed to share with other people. I am quite proud.
5) Went to a pool party at a hotel that will let you use their pool all day for $4. #maduraibreakthrough
6) Got an A/C installed in my bedroom. Good thing too, because come April/May, the temperature will remain in the 100’s (even at night).
7) Became Facebook friends with my favorite auto driver.
8) Attended a meditation course in Haridwar; chanted 16 hours a day for 6 days. I’m still recovering.
9) Began writing a report on atrocities committed by the police while they were trying to apprehend a notorious South Indian smuggler in the 90s. When a criminal will kill you if you don’t help him, and the police will torture you if you do, what are the villagers supposed to do?
10) Got a fever and ended up in the hospital; learned that when you have to ask, “Should I go to the hospital?” the answer is always yes.
11) Had to explain to five different employees of a clothing shop that my blue eyes were not the result of colored contact lenses. “Yes, really, I was born this way.”